Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hi, Mao; Bu Yao Mao

Junie is obsessed with Penny, our cat. The first day she didn't want to see Penny at all. Then, she wanted the girls to constantly pick her up and take her near the cat...this causes her to say, many times a day, "Hi Mao!" (Hi, cat). This is almost always followed by a laughing "Bu Yao Mao" (I don't want the cat). It is super funny, although I think the girls are getting tired of the game. She has yet to touch the cat, but surprised me tonight by asking me to put Penny on her bed...which leads us to bedtime...

I gotta say, we totally picked the best kid in China. This girl has gotten over the jet lag in just one day - we had that horrible first night of no sleep, but Miss Ying has slept through every night since then. The second and third nights home, she cried a bit, but slept when Riley joined her. Last night, Riley was otherwise engaged, and the big, fat tears started rolling (apparently she has had enough of me and thinks the girls are way more fun)...and turned into big, fat, whole-body sobs that lasted for a full hour. It was heartbreakingly sad...Quinn decided to pitch a fit at the same time. Tom was not home from work until 10, so while my heart was breaking for the crying ones, I was considering breaking one of his legs...

In any case, I braced myself for the tears again tonight, but they didn't start when I expected them to. We went to her room, read the two books she selected (twice each) and then we said goodnight. I asked for a kiss, but got the tongue stuck out at me instead - apparently, that never gets old for her. We established that she wanted the night light on - I left the room, and moments later, she was asleep, litttle towel in hand and index finger in the mouth. Seriously, the best kid, except for when...

We were getting ready for pj time and she took off running through the house in her Hello Kitty undies. It was funny pretending to catch her...it wasn't so funny when I did catch her and she laughed and spit at me. We'll work on that one.

Otherwise, a good day of playing with sisters, meeting some friends, and not doing too much. She and Quinn did some puzzles together, and they are warming up to each other slowly but surely! Have to thank my helpers Delaney and Riley for all the toting around and visits to the cat.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy and Tom

    Dale and I have just loved reading about the final days of your journey with June! What a very gorgeous little girl, but also very lucky girl she is to have fallen into the arms of such a loving family. We know this is just the beginning of a wonderful new life for a special little girl! We look forward to watching her grow....
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I got to meet you guys in China! Junie is a doll and you are so blessed to have her in your family! I will continue to follow your blog~I always get a chuckle out of your stories :)

    Sandy Rice

    ReplyDelete